Friday 10 March 2017


How many time have you sat in a classroom and wondered to yourself “how this will ever be applicable to my life?” So often, throughout the lives of students we are forced into classes we probably won’t even remember the day after we write that final exam or submit that final assignment. To what extent is this information useful? Should I be able to recite the quadratic formula or  tell you that the mitochondria is the power house of a cell. If these things aren’t going to be useful in my life what is the point of drilling them into my head or telling me I can’t pass high school if I can’t perform well on a standardized test.

                Just to be clear, I am not against education. In fact, I am a university student planning on working within the education system. I am here to do what university has taught me. Which is to be critical of every “fact” that I encounter.

                If you stop to really think about education, who creates it?? Yup, the government. The very people that don’t play a prominent or large visible role in a school, get to make all the decisions for every child in Ontario.

               These are the people that determine funding based on scores of standardized tests and the names associated with schools. The government is funding private schools to help the elite, when lower income schools can barely afford to have equipment for children to play with because that money is desperately need for teaching supplies. These people aren’t the one’s sitting in the classroom as a nine-year-old has a mental breakdown and has to leave the room because he can’t comprehend what is being asked on an EQAO test.  How can they be the ones to make the decisions without these personal experiences?


The very people that have one of the largest roles to play in a child’s life can also have the largest role in breaking a child. For what?? Just so standards make us competitive with other countries around the world.  At what point do we step back and look at children’s wellbeing and mental health around certain aspects of our education system.

School is just a way for governments to control children to serve for them and their agendas. If you look at education around the world, certain countries make it almost impossible to get a higher education. Why is that you ask?? Well… the second higher education becomes a standard, people will start to question the way they rule and can change the government’s actions.

In Canada, many people couldn’t begin to accept the idea that a child couldn’t attend school. This is all because of our shaped ideas surrounding education. However, in poorer parts of the world education isn’t mandatory and doesn’t have an overall large impact on the population. On average, 66% of people without an education are living on the streets, yet 55% of people with a full education are also living in poverty. So, is it worth it??

This is all connected to the governments idea of education, and their plans for the people that receive this education. Without even knowing you, the government has a generalized plan based on how successful they believe you are going to be. So essentially, they decide your worth based on a bunch of statistics.
            Education is based on and shaped to the ideas of that specific culture in hopes of creating better people and pushing children into their ideal direction. For example, think back to past experiences within schools. If budgets get cut, what was the first thing to go?? Art departments- whether it was music, dramatic arts or visual arts. This isn’t because they are useless, but because of the value that the government puts on these programs compared to others such as science and math. These values are perpetuated and are heavily followed in society. When people deviate from this norm, and follow a career in something like music, they are looked down upon (unless they become a success).


Despite all this, there is a value in education. I just believe that certain things do not work within our current society and we need to be critical consumers around the information that is being fed to our children and ourselves.  

5 comments:

  1. Hi Holly,
    I really enjoyed your post! It brought up so many important perspectives on our education system and the flaws within them. I find that the education system has been balancing a very thin line between the new forms of 'play-based' learning present in kindergarten schools and the older methods of 'banking-education' that consisted of depositing the knowledge directly into the students without and active participation. This type of education is troubling, and as you pointed out at the beginning of the article, presents a lack of applicability. I can see it in my siblings and even as I am in school, wondering how the knowledge gained will be of value and apply to real life. As you expressed, when I can remember what the mitochondria is used for but not know basic life skills such as paying taxes, how is the education system preparing students for life. Furthermore, your point about the governments control over the education system but their lack of involvement is very troubling. I found your post to presents many flaws within the education system while simultaneously demonstrating its use. It certainly sparks interest in how to improve the current education system through critically analyzing facts that are presented to us, and ensuring all schools are provided ample opportunity to develop their students in all aspects of education and athletics. Awesome blog!
    - Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Holly,
    I really liked reading your post because I think your thoughts is something most people think, but they just don't come out and say it. I really like how you brought up about standard testing and EQAO. It is very true how they make us learn things for this test that will probably not be used in the future, but also these teachers have to teach these topics so quick to the students just for the test and that is why they struggle so much on them because they haven't had any practice with it. I am currently volunteering in a grade three class with EQAO being the first year for these standard tests and with the practice tests they are given it is amazing to see how poorly these students are doing on them. I often too think about how in University they set the standards so high and the averages high to stay in a program because they want to ween people out, when in reality majority of students are very capable of learning the knowledge and content of these courses, but they just aren't good test takers, so for them they are almost not even given a chance to succeed. Or how they do not consider the arts or athletics to be equally important as other subjects. I completely agree that education is very useful and we do learn, but there needs to be a balance within education is ways of testing, equal funding across the board for all subjects and equal praise for all students to pursue what that are passionate about instead of the government forcing students into the direction they want them to go in. Great post!
    -Jessica Zabek

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Holly!
    Your blog was very thought provoking to read! So many of the points you brought up, especially, “how this will ever be applicable to my life?” are thoughts that I have as well. All through elementary and high school I felt as though half the subjects I was taking were things I had no interest in. Because of this I felt as though I didn't try as hard and I would try to avoid the subject by not doing homework/studying. I completely agree with when you said that you’re not against education because honestly, I love learning but hate being forced to learn about a subject that I don't enjoy. However, I know that it’s necessary that everyone has a general understanding and education in certain subjects in order for the world to work. Your blog brought up many points that provoke future debate. I think mental health is a huge area that needs to be revamped and reconsidered when looking at the education system. I remember being in elementary school and so stressed out about taking math tests after studying for hours and hours on end and still failing because I was not able to relax and apply what I knew during the tests. Getting bad marks I think really discourages children when it comes to school and leaves them with a sense of helplessness and failure. Not to mention the competition among children to see who is the “smartest” determined by marks. I was shocked at the statistics you said with 55% of people with a full education are living on the streets. It seems it is so much harder now to get a job in comparison to our parents’ generation. Before, if you had a university/college education you would have a job right away where as now we are expected to have so much experience and such great resumes to be able to land a decent job. Over all there are definitely many areas of the education system that need to be re-looked at and I think your blog really highlighted these issues and created some great insight. Good job!!
    -Maddie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Holly,
    I really enjoyed reading what you had to say about our education system. I think it was very thought provoking and relatable. Throughout my schooling, I have taken courses that I believe do not apply to my future career. However, I continue to take these courses because they are mandatory. I understand why schools use to standardized tests to determine a student's progression. But I also agree that a standardized test should not be the only method of testing. Schools stress the importance of doing well on these tests and as a university student it can feel like these tests determine whether you will make it into the real world or not. I think it can discourage a student no matter how old. As an aspiring teacher I hope to help my future students succeed. However, I want my students to learn because they are interested rather than pressuring them to do well. I also agree with your statement about how the Government does not emphasize arts as heavily as they do academic classes. Recently, my high school decided to make budget cuts. The school is getting rid of dramatic arts, which was my favourite course while I was there. I do believe that we do not emphasize arts as a long-term career because of society. I think schools tend to push ideas and beliefs on kids rather than guiding them to a suitable path for them. I think your post shared a different perspective that we often do not discuss, which is the flaw in the education system. I really enjoyed reading what you had to say and definitely agree that changes need to be made. Great job!
    - Herman Singh

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Holly,
    I really enjoyed your blog! I can say that I really resonate with a lot of your feelings throughout this blog. There are a lot of flaws in our education system, and honestly standardized testing is one of the biggest. We have so much stress put on us to simply remember material, to be able to reiterate it within assessments and then it eventually becomes forgotten. I had a math midterm on Friday, which I studied nonstop all week for, and then following the midterm I had basically forgotten all of the material. That is such a huge problem; we study not to learn, but to simply repeat the information we have read.

    This is a huge issue in the education system, as so much priority is put on our grades which leads to stress and poor mental health among students. In many cases, our grades are seen as more important than our mental health. Again, I agree with a lot of your ideas and I too feel that people may think it's weird that I'm studying to work within the education system. However, it's people like us that will work to make a change and a real impact in the education system, which is what we need desperately right now.

    Awesome blog, I really loved it :) You will make an awesome teacher one day.

    Sarah

    ReplyDelete